Pearl Subramanian – Yemen
Whole Almonds- 1 cup (soaked in hot water & peeled after 15 mins.) Milk - 1 cup, Sugar - 3 cups, Yellow Kesari Colour Powder - 1/4 tspn, Elachi powder - 1/4 tspn, Pachai Karapuram - a pinch (crushed), Strands of Spanish Saffron - 1/4 tsp. Preparation:
- Soak 1 cup of whole almonds in hot water, remove the skins off after 15/20 mins. Grind the almonds with 1/2 cup milk into a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Add 3 cups of sugar to 1/2 glass of water and make a one thread consistency syrup.
- Add the almond paste and a pinch of yellow kesari colour and keep stirring.
- When it begins to thicken add 2 cups of ghee. Keep stirring.
- Add the saffron strands and crushed elachi powder, continue stirring till the mixture becomes thick & begins to form a ball. Fry the Halwa for a few more mins till the mixture becomes a smooth ball & does not stick to the sides of the pan, (the ghee too will start to seep out remove the ghee as it starts
- Remove from flame and let it cool, When cold sprinkle the Pachaikarpuram powder over it. Mix and serve.