Making time: 45 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
2 cups long grain rice (basmati)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup cream beaten smooth
1 tsp. sugar
salt to taste
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp. ghee
1 cup canned chopped mixed fruit (drained)
2-3 edible rose petals
- Wash and soak rice for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix milk, cream, sugar, salt. Drain rice, keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a heavy pan.
- Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, bayleaf, cardamoms, cloves.
- Allow to splutter. Add rice and fry in ghee for 2 minutes.
- Add milk, cream, mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil.
- When boil is reached, cover and simmer till cooked.
- Each grain should be cooked, but separate.
- Mix in drained fruit very gently.
- Garnish by sprinkling finely broken rosepetals.
- Serve hot with a curry or tadka dal.